If you are familiar with my blog you know I often write about stones and their many benefits in our lives. My fascination with stones and crystals led me to take a course in Crystal Energy Healing shortly after I was certified as a Reiki Master.
In this article I want to focus on the Root Chakra and how crystals can help it to remain in balance and connected to Mother Earth.
I hope you stick around and join me as we delve into Root Chakra Stones.
Table of Contents
What are Chakras
Chakra is a Sanskrit word that means “wheel”. They are vortexes of energy that are aligned with our spines. Chakras are a part of our astral body (also known as our energy body) which is located within and around a persons physical body. When functioning properly Chakras rotate like a wheel, and disperse energy throughout your whole being.
For a person to be completely balanced all their chakras need to be working symbiotically with each other.
When a chakra is blocked or out of balance it means that the chakra (wheel) has stopped turning as it should. This disruption can can have a negative effect on every part of a person.
We have seven main chakras in our body. The first one is located at the tip of your tail bone.
- The Root Chakra, also known as know as Muladhara in Sanskrit, is located at the base of your spine. It is associated with stability and security. It helps you feel grounded and connected to Mother Earth. If it’s not balanced you could experience anxiety, fear, and have feelings of being disconnected from the world around you.
- The Sacral Chakra, Svadhisthana, is located below your navel. It affects your sexuality, creativity and sense of others. Imbalance could cause you to have repressed creativity and emotional isolation.
- The Solar Plexus Chakra, Manipura, is located directly under your navel. It’s where your confidence, logic and sense of self control stem from. Being out of balance could cause you to have a low self esteem.
- The Heart Chakra, Anahata, is located in the center of your chest. This chakra is all about Love. If it is imbalanced you may experience depression and have difficulty in relationships.
- The Throat Chakra, Vishuddha, is located in the center of your neck. It is the center of communication and speaking truth. If it’s imbalanced you could have increased anxiety, shyness and even arrogance.
- The Third Eye Chakra also know as the Brow Chakra, Ajna, is located between you eyes. It represents intuition, imagination, and foresight. If it’s out of balance you can have a lack of direction and clarity.
- The Crown Chakra, Sahasrara, is located at the top of your head. It is where you are connected to spirituality and higher consciousness. If it is out of balance you can experience closed mindedness, cynicism and a disregard for what is sacred.
This is obviously and simplified explanation of your seven chakras. Each one of them has a unique function and its own characteristics. They each are tied to specific colors, elements, and emotions. The chakras also have feminine and masculine attributes.
Now, let’s take a closer look at your first chakra.
Muladhara: The Root Chakra
In the Sanskrit language if you look at the breakdown of a word it can give you a much deeper understanding of the words meaning. Muladhara is a two part word. The first part mula means root, the second part adhara means support or base.
The Root chakra (sometimes referred to as the Base chakra) is the foundation of your being. It supports the other six chakras above it.
I often think about the Root chakra being like the foundation of a building. If a building’s foundation is compromised in any way then the structure it supports is at risk of collapse. In the same way if the Root chakra is strained, out of balance, or is not taken care of as it should be, the body that Root chakra supports could be affected in a negative way.
The Root chakra is related to your sense of physical identity, survival, and feeling grounded. The color it’s associated with is red, and the element it’s tied to is earth. It is also related to your physical sense of smell, which before modern advancements, was a sense that was essential for human survival.
Now let’s take a look at some of the side effects of a Root Chakra that isn’t functioning as it should.
Blocked Root Chakra
If a Root chakra is blocked or out of balance it can have negative side effects on your whole being.
Physically a person could experience lower back pain, or issues with their legs, knees or feet. It could also affect colon function, digestion, and cause us to feel sluggish.
Psychological side effects of a blocked Root chakra could be anxiety, fear, panic attacks, depression, anger, and a feeling of being disconnected. The Root chakra is also associated with your natural instincts. When it’s out of balance normal human desires for food, water, shelter and survival can become distorted. This distortion could cause a person to start hoarding material things, become greedy about money, or start overeating.
A persons upper three chakras are usually considered to be more spiritual while the bottom four are considered more physical. That being said, the Root chakra is what helps you feel more grounded and connected to the Earth. If you are someone who follows a more Earth-centered religion such as Wicca, Paganism or Druidism you most likely feel we are an integral part of nature. In this case having an out of balance Root chakra could definitely effect your spirituality in a negative way.
The Benefits of Stones and Crystals
I incorporate crystals and stones into my Reiki work and meditation routine on a regular basis. Crystals have the ability to aid in aligning our bodies and helping us feel more grounded.
In the second chapter of the Bible it says, “Then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, the man became a living being.” Genesis 2:7
If we ponder for a moment the idea that Father Divine formed us from Mother Earth then it doesn’t seem so far fetched that other components from the earth can have a symbiotic relationship with our bodies.
“The belief behind crystal therapy is that individual stones such as amethyst, rose quartz and jade have the ability to communicate with the energy flow of the human body and help to realign the energy channels that are interrupting the natural flow of the body and help it heal itself. Crystals with specific stones are said to help to relieve specific ailments such as anxiety, depression and insomnia, or more physical ailments such as digestive problems.” The Devonshire Spa, The University of Derby.
Different Root Chakra Healing Stones
Root chakra stones can also be referred to as Root chakra gemstones or Root chakra crystals. That being said, trying to choose which stone is right for your specific needs can seem a bit daunting. I have compiled a short list of some of the best root chakra stones.
- Red Jasper: This stone is known for its grounding qualities. It brings physical and emotional strength and aids with stamina. This stone is also utilized by people who have circulatory concerns and a low libido.
- Black Tourmaline: Black Tourmaline is a grounding crystal that can promote stability and protection. It is a popular choice for people seeking emotional balance. It helps to transform negative energy into positive energy. It aids people who suffer from anxiety, depression and despair. It is also believed to aid people who have adrenal glad issues.
- Mahogany Obsidian: This stone has a very gentle energy and provides a comforting connection to the earth. It helps individuals to feel more at ease around other people and aids them with being more confident in relationships.
- Onyx: This stone helps sharpen a person’s senses and physical responses. It is also a great protector from negative energy.
- Garnet: This stone works well with both the Crown and Root chakras and works as a bridge between the two. This bridge allows energy to flow throughout a person’s whole being. Greek mythology believes the Garnet can heal emotional rifts between lovers through Divine influence. It is also good for removing blockages in the Root chakra and helps to restore the sex drive in both men and women.
- Bloodstone: This stone has been used for centuries by different cultures, including the Mesopotamians. It is believed to aid in detoxification and is seen as a source of vitality and physical energy.
- Smokey Quartz: This crystal is amazing for grounding. It aids in releasing negative energy and restoring a person’s energy levels. It is also good for helping to release painful emotions such as grief, anger and fear. It is believed to aid with physical pain in the hands and feet. Smokey Quartz is also said to be helpful with digestive issues.
- Tiger’s Eye: This is one of my favorite stones. The Tiger’s Eye has many benefits for the Root and Sacral chakras. It aids people who have a self sabotaging spirit by helping them to believe in their personal strength. It pushes negative energy away from individuals and digs deep into their Base chakra. It helps people to break away from self doubt and restores their focus and motivation.
Using Root Chakra Stones and Crystals
A person can use Root chakra stones in various ways.
- During Meditation: During your meditation practice you can hold the stone in your hands near the Root chakra. While doing this focus on the stones attributes and envision those attributes flowing into your body.
- During a Reiki session: Many Reiki practitioners use crystals during their sessions. They love the healing attributes of the stones and embrace the relationship they have with them, believing they are fellow healers. Another wonderful thing Reiki practitioners have the ability to do is channel healing energy into a stone and give it an extra boost of healing power. When they channel the Universal Life Force Energy into a crystal and give it a specific intention it becomes a Reiki healing stone.
- Keep crystals by your bed and in various locations around your house and place of employment. Having Root chakra stones and other crystals near you can be a way of ensuring that you reap the benefits of their healing qualities throughout your day.
- Jewelry: Many times crystals and stones are incorporated into bracelets, necklaces and rings. Most metaphysical stores sell crystal jewelry.
- Carry them with you in your purse or the pocket of your trousers. When a person has a crystal with them at all times they continually receive the stones healing benefits.
- Finally, I’m a firm believer that one of the best ways to balance your Root chakra is by being out in nature. Stand on the ground barefoot. Feel Mother Earth beneath you. Place a Root chakra stone between your feet, close your eyes, and envision the healing energy of the earth and stone flowing up into your being.
I wrote this article while on a solo spring camping trip in central Minnesota. My partner and I both understand the importance of having these little moments to ourselves.
Being able to get away, meditate, write, and be at one with the world around me is essential to my overall well-being.
I love taking morning walks in the woods this time of year. My senses are delighted by so many things. The sound of the gentle breeze rustling through the trees, and the birds singing. The smell of the leaves on the ground starting to decay and knowing that they will soon nourish the many forest plants that are getting ready to emerge and greet the new year. Seeing ducks swimming in the water courting their mates. And the chill that’s still in the air cooling my face and lungs as I breath it in. Moments like these really help me to feel closer to Mother Earth. They feed my soul. They help me to feel balanced and grounded.
I often carry a Tiger’s Eye with me in my pocket. I view it like a trusted friend that is always there to help me stay grounded and have confidence in myself. Root chakra stones are wonderful companions to help us feel connected to the world around us.
As you go through your life journey I sincerely hope you find peace and balance. And that you take time to enjoy the little things.
Finally, If you are looking into Root chakra stones for a chronic condition I want to stress that alternative therapies are not meant to take the place of professional medical advise and treatment. They are intended to be supplemental in nature.
Please feel free to explore the other articles in my blog for more information on crystals, meditation, and Reiki.
I hope you enjoy exploring root chakra crystals and stones.